Half 1,000,000 folks in Essex are set to learn from elevated entry to the coast as Pure England opens 85 miles of the England Coast Path at the moment (13 July).
This new part of path, spans from Tilbury to Wallasea Island, by way of Southend-on-Sea and takes in various landscapes of saltmarsh and huge grasslands. Now 50% of the Essex shoreline – 150 miles in all – is accessible by way of the England Coast Path (ECP) which is able to present extra folks with higher alternatives to spend time open air and realise the well being advantages of being in nature.
The newly opened path can even present an financial increase to the world – it’s estimated that £350 million is spent throughout journeys to coastal paths supporting native folks and companies. It’s hoped path will encourage a surge in customer numbers which is able to profit coastal communities alongside the route.
Highlights of the stretch embody:
- Diversified views from the towering ships at Tilbury to industrial landscapes, quiet marshes and glimpses of the Hoo Peninsula in Kent
- Canvey Island the place nature has reclaimed business as you stroll previous an oil terminal the place building was deserted within the 1970’s oil disaster. The 7 sq. mile island consists of numerous grassland habitats and is residence to weevils (Sitona cinerascens), a floor beetle (Scybalicus oblongiusculus) and a moth (Hecatera dysodea) which had been beforehand recorded as extinct in Britain
- Nature lovers can benefit from the RSPB Nature Reserve at Wallasea Island constructed utilizing supplies from the Crossrail challenge. Deliberate holes have been positioned within the seawalls to let within the tides with dense flocks of birds offering an autumn and spring spectacle for guests
- Two Tree Island Nature Reserve adjoining to the historic ruins of Hadleigh Fortress which is famend for its flocks of small waders and bigger brent geese
- Southend-on-Sea which is residence to the longest seaside pier in England, amusements and blue flag seashores
- The previous artillery forts at Tilbury at the moment are related by the ECP, permitting guests to traverse between every historic web site
Lord Benyon, Minister for Rural Affairs stated:
We wish to join extra folks with nature – as outlined within the Authorities’s 25 Yr Setting Plan – so I’m delighted to see this vital stretch of England’s Coastal Path open at the moment.
Essex has a dynamic and historic panorama and this path will help sustainable tourism, giving an financial increase to many coastal companies. I hope guests will benefit from the wealthy contrasts of this stretch of path, from saltmarshes and mudflats to thriving seaside cities.
Marian Spain, CEO of Pure England stated:
The England Coast Path would be the longest coastal strolling route on the earth as soon as full, accessible to all by way of public transport and walkable in all weathers and by folks of all talents. I’m thrilled that at the moment Pure England is opening this newest part, which takes us one other step nearer to with the ability to stroll all the best way round England.
This stretch passes via areas wealthy in seaside heritage: industrial heartlands, coastal communities and nature reserves the place treasured wildlife, from flocks of untamed geese to uncommon bugs, thrive.
Working from Tilbury to Wallasea Island by way of Southend-on-Sea it’ll straight join half 1,000,000 folks to the coast permitting many extra folks to expertise the advantages of connecting with nature.
Pure England has labored carefully with Essex County Council, Southend-on-Sea Metropolis Council and Thurrock Borough Council to create a route which is accessible for all.
Councillor Lee Scott, Essex County Council’s Cupboard Member for Highways, Upkeep and Sustainable Transport stated:
That is implausible information for Essex, and we’re thrilled to see the launch of the 2 adjoining stretches of the England Coastal Path.
The brand new paths will supply an array of alternatives and advantages for the county. Folks will be capable of take pleasure in walks alongside the gorgeous seaside and seashores in Essex which even have an important position in serving to to help the well being and wellbeing of residents.
The brand new stretches of coast can even assist to spice up native tourism and join folks and communities with the pure atmosphere and wildlife throughout the county. That is an thrilling milestone for Essex, and we might encourage folks to go to the brand new stretches of coastal path and uncover the native atmosphere.
Cllr Carole Mulroney, deputy chief and cupboard member for atmosphere, tradition and tourism at Southend-On-Sea Metropolis Council stated:
It’s fantastic to see the opening of the 2 costal paths connecting us on to Tilbury and Wallasea Island. This can be a large profit for Southend-on-Sea, one that can join a lot of guests to the great thing about our shoreline and to take pleasure in what the world has to supply, each now and for a few years to come back.
Cllr Ben Maney, Thurrock Council Cupboard member for Highways and Transport, stated:
This path creates a chance for folks to get out and benefit from the open air as they stroll alongside our coast and take within the pure and historic wonders it holds.
In Thurrock alone the paths soak up nature together with nation parks and nature reserves, historical past together with Tilbury and Coalhouse Fort, and a glimpse of our future with the ever-developing Freeport throughout Port of Tilbury and London Gateway in addition to two new seashores deliberate, all of that are the most recent chapter within the borough’s lengthy historical past as we transfer to be the brand new Metropolis of London and the capital of U.Ok. ports. The trail is a exceptional achievement and I’m proud that Thurrock Council has been a key associate in creating this stretch of it.
The world is wealthy in historical past, Queen Elizabeth I gave a rousing speech to the troops on the method of the Spanish Armada within the Tilbury space, it’s additionally residence to the stays of HMS Beagle which carried naturalist Charles Darwin all over the world and Coalhouse Fort, utilized by Henry VIII to defend the Thames and London.
The opening of those stretches has created 28,000 soccer pitches value of entry to land between the road of path and the imply low water. The path secures these areas without any consideration in legislation for the primary time, growing the quantity of entry to the waterfront within the countryside and seaside cities within the space.
When accomplished the ECP would be the longest, steady coastal strolling route on the earth. At over 2,700 miles lengthy, this Nationwide Path will supply the chance to traverse via the nation’s most recognised and dynamic landscapes.
It is going to guarantee larger entry to England’s cherished coastlines, join extra folks with nature and likewise present a lift for coastal communities from sustainable tourism.
The opening of this part follows the opening of the Grain to Woolwich stretch in January 2022.
- The newly opened stretches are simply accessed by way of public transport. There may be additionally the choice of utilizing the Tilbury ferry from areas south of the river Thames to attach with London and Kent.
- Progress on the ECP might be discovered right here: www.gov.uk/authorities/publications/england-coast-path-overview-of-progress
- For extra info on open stretches of the England Coast Path and different Nationwide Trails, go to: www.nationaltrail.co.uk
- The Countryside Code is the official information on find out how to take pleasure in nature and deal with each it, and the individuals who dwell and work there, with respect.