In the present day, President Joe Biden signed a Nationwide Safety Memorandum (NSM) to deal with unlawful, unreported, and unregulated (IUU) fishing and associated dangerous fishing practices.
IUU fishing is among the many biggest threats to ocean well being and is a big trigger of worldwide overfishing, contributing to the collapse or decline of fisheries which can be crucial to the financial progress, meals techniques, and ecosystems of quite a few international locations world wide. Distant water fishing vessels, which interact in industrial-scale fishing operations on the excessive seas and in waters underneath different states’ jurisdictions, could be important perpetrators of IUU fishing and associated dangerous fishing practices. IUU fishing usually includes pressured labor, human trafficking, and different crimes and human rights abuses. Left unchecked, IUU fishing and related labor abuses undermine U.S. financial competitiveness, nationwide safety, fisheries sustainability, and the livelihoods and human rights of fishers world wide and can exacerbate the environmental and socioeconomic results of local weather change.
The Biden Administration will deal with IUU fishing by growing coordination with numerous stakeholders — private and non-private, international and home. America Authorities will use the total vary of present conservation, labor, commerce, financial, diplomatic, regulation enforcement, and nationwide safety authorities to deal with these challenges, together with:
- Selling labor rights, human rights, and basic freedoms by means of worker-centered commerce insurance policies and dealing to make sure that provide chains are free from pressured labor, together with by participating with worldwide establishments and commerce companions to deal with pressured labor and different abusive labor practices in IUU fishing;
- Collaborating inside worldwide organizations, together with regional our bodies, and partnering with stakeholders from governments, civil society, and the non-public sector, to extend international consideration on the challenges of IUU fishing, together with by distant water fishing vessels, and associated abusive labor practices, corresponding to the usage of pressured labor in seafood provide chains; and
- Combatting abuses and strengthening incentives for moral habits within the international seafood trade, together with by limiting the marketplace for merchandise derived from IUU fishing, pressured labor, or different abusive labor practices.
The Biden-Harris Administration can also be taking the next actions to fight IUU fishing, which shall be introduced all through this week’s U.N. Ocean Convention.
- America, the UK, and Canada will launch an IUU Fishing Motion Alliance aimed toward growing ambition and momentum within the battle towards IUU fishing, together with a pledge to take pressing motion to enhance the monitoring, management, and surveillance of fisheries, enhance transparency in fishing fleets and within the seafood market, and construct new partnerships that may maintain dangerous actors accountable.
- The U.S. Interagency Working Group on Unlawful, Unreported, and Unregulated Fishing, comprising 21 Federal companies, will launch its Nationwide 5-Yr Technique for Combating Unlawful, Unreported, and Unregulated Fishing (2022-2026) by the top of July. The technique prioritizes the Working Group’s efforts to fight IUU fishing, curtail the worldwide commerce of IUU fish and fish merchandise, and promote international maritime safety, whereas working in partnership with different governments and authorities, the seafood trade, academia, and non-governmental stakeholders. America will interact with precedence companions, together with Ecuador, Panama, Senegal, Taiwan, and Vietnam. Info on the member companies and actions of the Working Group could be discovered right here.
- NOAA will even problem a proposed rule to boost and strengthen its capacity to deal with IUU fishing actions and fight pressured labor within the seafood provide chain. Particularly, the rule will improve NOAA’s capacity to implement the Settlement on Port State Measures to Stop, Deter and Remove Unlawful, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing and the Excessive Seas Driftnet Fishing Moratorium Safety Act. The rule proposes to broaden the scope of actions that NOAA can contemplate when figuring out nations that interact in IUU fishing to incorporate fishing in waters underneath the jurisdiction of a nation, with out the permission of that nation, or in violation of its legal guidelines and laws. It will guarantee consistency with the United Nations Meals and Agriculture Group’s Worldwide Plan of Motion to Stop, Deter and Remove Unlawful, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing.
These new actions construct on President Biden’s proclamation declaring June as Nationwide Ocean Month and key bulletins the White Home made earlier this month to preserve and restore the well being and productiveness of the ocean for the advantage of all People. These bulletins included initiating the designation course of for a brand new nationwide marine sanctuary to preserve Hudson Canyon within the Atlantic Ocean, a section out of the sale of single-use plastics in nationwide parks and public lands, the launch of efforts to create America’s first-ever Ocean Local weather Motion Plan, and the launch of an initiative to middle environmental justice in ocean science and know-how actions and investments.
Supply: White Home